Well I thought it might be fun to rain on your parade. No, I’m just kidding. Actually I did think it would be interesting to point out some myths and maybe general questions that I periodically receive from you.
- Contrary to popular opinion, and this is one that just keeps perpetuating, tea does not have more caffeine than coffee.
- Sea salt and kosher salt are not healthier than table salt. Get over it baby! It’s all salt, any which way you shake it (same amount of sodium in all three) but use sea salt whenever you can, it does have healthier qualities that the regular salt does not.
- Bottled water is not always best, filtered water is usually better. Please watch out for Dasani water.
- Here’s a question that many people are asking: What can they do if they get bored with raw nuts? Well that’s easy, roast’em baby! I’m serious, they’re out of this world. Chop up some walnuts and almonds, place in a baking dish and bake at 425 until golden brown.
- Many people have asked me if they should use coconut oil on their bodies or eat it. Well yes you guessed it, eat it. But just one teaspoon per day. Oh yeah, use it on your body too, it’s a great moisturizer.
- How much chocolate per day? Well the gloomy answer is, just one or two squares of dark chocolate that is 70% cacao. Try to stay away from milk and white chocolate. Once you get used to dark chocolate, milk chocolate will be a thing of the past.
- Which is healthier, butter or margarine? Oh my goodness if you have to ask I’m failing in my job. Butter of course folks.
- Egg white omelets better? I will talk about this until I just can’t talk about it anymore. The yolk is good for you! One of the best ways to get biotin is eating egg yolks.
- Pretzels or chips…ah that is the real question. I’m not going to answer this one, look it up in my blogs. I’m sorry, just kidding. Obviously I’m in a jovial mood at the moment. Why the answer is chips of course. The right potato chip is far healthier than a pretzel.
- Canned beans…must you really? Dried is always better, but canned is OK in a pinch. Read the label on the can before you throw it in your cart.
- Cell phones, are they dangerous? Well I don’t know but with all the noise about them I choose to limit the amount of time I hold that funky little thing next to my ear.
- “All natural”, well yeah you guessed, does not always mean all natural. In fact, especially watch out when the ingreadients include “natural” flavors. You don’t even want to know what the FDA allows manufacturers to call natural flavors.
- Oh yeah, and if you’re out and about and you order bottled water in an effort to be healthier, for goodness sake, don’t use the glass of ice next to it.
- This is one of my favorites, next time you walk into a joint and you avoid touching everything in the place (door handles and such) don’t reach for the bowl of nuts sitting on the bar. Oh my goodness, any idea how many dozens of hands may have touched those nuts?
- Think you’re OK using vegetable stock do you? Well how do you feel about MSG? No kidding, make sure you check all ingredients.
- Oh my goodness, this is a frequently asked question. Is Truvia all natural? Answer…no, no, no, no.
Oh so many myths, so little time. Need not worry folks, I have plenty in me for another blog and another day. I do love your questions however, so keep them coming. Here are two of my favorite thoughts and these my friends are not myths. So do what you can to live by them.
- If it doesn’t have a mother and it doesn’t come from the earth, don’t eat it!
- Eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince and eat dinner like a pauper.
Make today and every day a healthy day.