I just recently heard that there was going to be a new sleeping pill on the market. Oh wonderful, another sleeping pill! Why not just give advice on how to sleep better. There was definitely a time in my life when I was quite the workaholic and I can honestly tell you there were many times I only slept two or three hours a night. Thank God I gave that up a long time ago (not the workaholic part, though). Sleep affects everything. Or should I say lack of sleep affects everything? Listen, for those of us looking for anti-aging solutions, let me tell you that lack of sleep is the fastest way to look older. Not enough sleep makes us sick, tired and old. Listen, there’s a lot to be said about all those centenarians around the world who go to sleep when the sun sets and wake when the sun rises. Now I’m not that extreme, not just yet, but I do ensure that I get a solid seven hours of sleep these days.
Lack of sleep will affect your immune system, energy levels, and productivity levels. Therefore I would like to recommend several things that you can do to help get a proper night’s sleep.
- Decrease fast food intake.
- Do not have caffeine after 4:00 PM.
- Do not eat after 7:00 PM.
- Do not fall asleep on the sofa.
- Turn off the television, in fact turn off every electronic gadget you own an hour before bedtime.
- Soak your feet in warm water and epsom salt (this soothes the whole body).
- Too much alcohol can affect your sleep.
- My personal favorite, drink chamomile tea.
- A cup of warm milk really does work (please make sure it is organic).
- A tablespoon of almond butter before bed (yes, this really does work).
- Exercise really does help us to sleep better, try to find the time. Even if it’s just a fast 20 minute walk.
- I find that reading knocks me right out (in my case listening to my Kindl. Wow how grateful I am for this little contraption).
- Lastly, but of course most importantly, take some time and pray at night. I must tell you handing over all of your anxieties to God is the surest way that I know to get a good night’s sleep.
In my life I have had periods of little sleep and periods of much sleep. I can sure tell you my periods of little sleep left me wanting. I am sure that I almost always get a good night’s sleep. In fact I plan my schedule so that I sleep most nights seven hours. I certainly can attest that it does matter. The nights that I do not get my seven hours I do not feel or look myself. Folks I mentioned the fast food in one of the bullets because over the last several months I have met many people who are not sleeping well. These people it turns out are eating a lot of fast food. I sure think it matters. In fact, speaking of eating, remember to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Light dinners; I do think make a difference. Kali nixta to all.