Some questions have come up lately that perhaps many of you have. Instead of writing a blog today about one subject, I decided to write about random questions that people have asked me. Perhaps these are questions you have had also.
- How do you wash mushrooms? You don’t! Never wash mushrooms, instead you take a dampened paper towel or kitchen towel and rub them gently.
- Do you have to throw away wilted kale, Swiss chard or any green, leafy vegetables? No, in fact here’s a nifty little trick. In a very large aluminum bowl, filled with cold water spread apart the kale or Swiss chard and place into water. Even the stems will come back to life.
- Should you peel beets before cooking? No, always roast beets with the skin on. They are far easier to peel once they are cooked.
- Should you store coffee in the refrigerator? No, coffee will maintain its freshness stored in an air tight container in a dark cabinet.
- If you or your spouse have allergies, should you hang your bed linens outside to dry? No, unless you are angry at your spouse.
- Do you really have to soak beans overnight before cooking them? You don’t have to but if you have time it actually is best to.
- Can spritzing vodka in the air really freshen it? Actually yes, this is not an old wives tale, it really does work. I suggest you buy the cheap vodka; you may want to save the Gray Goose for drinking.
- Is margarine OK to use? Absolutely not, no, no, no! Please use real butter, just don’t eat it by the stick.
- Is apple cider vinegar really that good for you? Yes it is. In fact, it is a fantastic probiotic. You can have a teaspoon before every meal, that’s how good it is.
- Is it OK to cook with cooking wine? Never! If you are not willing to drink it, please do not cook with it.
- How to keep your eyes from tearing when cutting onions? Well I have discovered what works well for me is keeping the onions in the refrigerator. It really does seem that cold onions don’t burn the eyes as much.
Well I hope you had as much fun reading this as I had writing it. Please continue to e-mail me your questions. Till tomorrow.