Happy Valentine’s Day everyone. “Saint Valentine’s Day, often simply Valentine’s Day, is a holiday observed on February 14 honoring one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentinus. It was first established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD, and was later deleted from the General Roman Calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI. It is celebrated in hundreds of countries around the world, mostly in the West, although it remains a working day in all of them.
The day first became associated with romantic in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By the 15th century, it had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as “valentines“).
Modern Valentine’s Day symbols include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.”
Well, just wanted to give you a brief history or what Valentine’s Day is and how it got started. As far as I am concerned, every day is a great day. So make this an extra special day. Why not…
- stop and be grateful today;
- call friends and family and share with them how grateful you are for their love and support;
- call a child and tell them how proud you are of them;
- call an old friend you haven’t spoken to in years;
- if you have nothing to do this evening after work, why not volunteer;
- greet everyone at work today with a smile;
- go out of your way to introduce yourself to a co-worker you have not met yet;
- nosh on a couple of pieces of dark chocolate and really enjoy them;
- if you are going to or from work today, take a moment to really look around and appreciate what God has created for us;
- think about the talents that God gave you, they are a gift and what you do with them is your gift to Him?
Happy Valentine’s Day.