There are many ways to be truly healthy and fit if you cannot make it to the gym every day. Real health is a lifestyle. So, instead of getting anxious about not being able to find time to make it to your local gym, make small changes throughout your daily routine that will do the trick. Basically, what that means is, not live a sedentary lifestyle. But, that does not necessarily mean pumping iron at the gym. Sometimes thinking about making it to the gym constantly but not making it there causes stress and anxiety.
Let me point out some of the simple and fun things you can do to make a major change in your life:
- Park as far from an entrance as you possibly can. (Put your heels in a bag)
- Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Go out to lunch, but instead of going to a restaurant, go for a 20 or 30 minute walk.
- Put your remote controls in a drawer and, for goodness sake, get up from the sofa to change your channel.
- In fact, while you are enjoying your favorite television show, opt to do sit ups, push ups, or dips.
- While you’re watching tv, find a couple of heavy items from your house and work your biceps.
- Watch 30 minutes less of tv a night and go for some speed walking with a friend, your dog, or your friend’s dog.
- Remember, there are many exercises that you can do away from the gym at your office or in your home. Try squats and lunges.
- Stretching is extremely important. When you are flexible, you burn more calories. Wake up an extra 10 minutes earlier and stretch. You will start the day off right.
- My last tip is more important than it seems. Throughout the day, remember to breathe. In fact, leave post it notes everywhere with the word ‘breathe’ on it. Often, throughout the day, stop what you are doing and take 3 deep breaths. Make sure that these deep breaths are deep and long. Breathe in and blow out. Doing this often, believe it or not, reduces stress and anxiety. Disregard the funny looks you get from others.
Try to institute some of these tips into your daily routine and I promise, before long, you will feel better, have more energy, and burn lots of calories. If you have time, of course, visit your local gym but if you do not, remember to take a few deep breaths and go for a quick walk with a friend. You will enjoy a less anxious, healthy life.