I don’t know about you, but I think this has been a fun week of top ten lists that have helped me to organize my thoughts and share my opinions with you on a variety of subjects. Today’s list is a great one and necessary for everyone. Let’s takes some times to explore the top ten ways you can prepare your body for a long and healthy life.
- Eat your veggies! This is so important. Centenarians world wide have a few things in common. One, is plenty of veggies in their diet and a good amount of raw ones to boot. If you prefer your veggies cooked, cook them as little as possible, particularly your cruciferous and dark green leafy vegetables. They are so healthy and full of nutrients that promote long, healthy living.
- Omega-3′s: Not only do these fatty acids protect your heart and lower the risk of illness, they also keep you mentally astute! It’s one thing to live for a long time. It is another, much more desirable thing to live a long useful, fruitful, fulfilling life at full capacity. What do people who work with energy and purpose until they’re in their nineties have in common? Diets rich omega-3 sources such as fish, eggs, and walnuts.
- Avoid chemicals! Chemicals in cigarettes, processed and packaged foods, sodas and many cosmetic and hygiene supplies all take their toll on the body. If it’s not helping it’s harming! Use natural products and stay away from processed chemical ridden foods.
- Find what you love to do and do it! That’s right, food has a lot to do with our health, but our mental and spiritual well being has just as much or more that contributes directly to overall well being. It’s so important to find your calling in life, that thing you do well and enjoy. If you dedicate yourself to it, you will find success. A healthy and positive mind will lead to greater physical health.
- Stay active. Did you know that busy people tend to live longer? I guess it’s because they just don’t have time to go just yet. Keep active mentally and physically.
- Have a cup of tea. Here’s another interesting factoid about centenarians. Call it old fashioned, though I guess they certainly have a reason to be, centenarians from all over the world drink tea! Green tea, black tea, white tea, maté tea, find one you like and drink plenty of it.
- Garlic: Eating garlic will improve your overall health and prevent life shortening illnesses.It is so delicious and good for you, I suggest you use it whenever you can.
- Whole grains: Not only are they necessary to keep your body running in tip-top shape from day-to-day, but a diet rich in whole grains can help you live for a long time by protecting your heart and staving off long term illnesses such as diabetes. Plenty of centenarians swear by hot cereals such as oatmeal.
- Antioxidants: Get plenty of dark fruits and berries. Lot’s of green tea. Drink a cup of black coffee and always put cinnamon in it. Here’s my favorite- eat chocolate! Yep, quality dark chocolate and cocoa powder are also quite common foods of centenarians. Same with extra virgin olive oil! In fact, regardless of other health factors you will see a definite increase in average age in places where olives are grown and pressed.
- I think you know what I’m going to say next, and if you don’t already you should! WATER. Drink it, plenty of it. Drink water at every opportunity. Drink water all day! Drink, drink, drink. Nothing is quite so good for the body as water. Don’t mix it with flavors, don’t add anything (unless it’s a little mint or lemon.) Just drink water, for goodness sake!
So there you go and there you have it. I hope this week has been informative or at least as fun for you as it’s been for me. Like I said on Monday, top ten lists are a great way to prioritize and organize. Make a few of your own. Set aside a special notebook or journal just to make these helpful lists in, and if you feel so inclined, go ahead and share some with me!